One of Boston’s fastest-growing consumer tech startups with 8+ million members is looking for a few more of the best software engineers in Boston to join our team helping us to scale our systems and launch new products to help people find books they will love.
Millions of readers use BookBub every day to find great books, and our service helps thousands of leading publishers and authors drive sales and find new fans.
Our Engineering Philosophy
We hire great engineers and have them join a small team of 2-4 people. Each team takes on big challenges and has lots of autonomy to figure out the right solutions. We lean heavily on automation and continuous deployment to ensure we’re constantly getting rapid feedback from our users. Our approach is to start small, ship often and defer unnecessary complexity.
In Your First Six Months, You’ll Likely:
* Design and build and deploy one or more new systems
* Ship code to production ~100 times via our continuous deployment pipeline
* Pick up a few new programming techniques and hear about several new technologies from our continuously learning team
* Build, launch and test several significant new book discovery features
* Write lots of integration and unit tests (no separate QA team here)
* Engage in many deep technical discussions with really friendly and talented engineers
* Tackle at least a couple really hard scaling challenges
* Work across our entire stack: Rails, AWS, Postgres, React.js, Redis, Redshift, AWS Lambda, Ansible, Docker, Clojure, etc (it’s fine if you haven’t worked with this stack before)
We’re Looking For:
* Smart, intellectually curious software engineers
* Engineers who love to learn and teach, to be both mentors and mentees
* Good judgement on technical tradeoffs, with a strong bias towards simple and pragmatic solutions
* Want to go fast, but at a sustainable pace -- we're building a business with long-term value
* Strong experience with a modern web/internet stack
* Distributed systems and high scale experience are a big plus, but not required
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, and take-what-you-need PTO.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.